Monday, March 13, 2006

Book Report

The first book report I ever wrote was in 2nd grade, a dinosaur book, and I think I plagiarized most of that essay. I see no reason why this book report would be any different from that. Hopefully, I'll do one of these every month or 2 or 3 or 6 or whenever I actually finish a book.



A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey

Highly entertaining look into the process, thoughts, life, of a man going through drug rehab.

James Frey writes like I wish I could write. To elaborate: 1) He writes without much punctuation, yet his writing is surprisingly understandable. 2) He writes in a stream of consciousness, I have no idea how he remembers the details he does, but its very amusing listening to him think. 3) He's funny when I'm not sure he's trying to be. 4) The book rates extremely high on the unintentional comedy scale due to the whole - Oprah loves the book, then doesn't care if its fake, then changes her mind and cares and tells off Frey - issue. 5) There are some amazing passages (some of which I'll share below), that kinda blew my mind. 6) Frey is full of theories, some are bullshit, some are funny, but most seem like he honestly believes them.

For some reason, I don't finish many books that I start. My roommate actually gave me credit for not finishing Angels and Demons because he thought it was so hard to put down. I couldn't finish it b/c, being a scientific oriented thinker, I didn't believe in the science behind an "anti-matter" bomb. I also HATE BAD WRITING and no matter how good the damn story is, I can't stand to read a bad writer. (I did get through all of Da Vinci somehow) Now, bad writers are successful all the time, esp. ones with good stories, but DAN BROWN IS A HORRIBLE WRITER. With A Million Little Pieces, I knew going in that parts were "fake," yet, because the story was still mostly believable, I read the whole thing. Actually, I lied. I have yet to finish the book, but I plan to this weekend in Florida. I really don't care that some of the book is fake. In fact, I think that makes it more interesting. I mean, he's talking about puking and bleeding and passing out so much, I would have put $100 on him not remembering much of the experience. Anyway, the more topical the book, the more interesting.

Like I said earlier, my original book report from 2nd grade was mostly constructed by writing down my favorite quotes from the book. Here are a few from this book.

"I know a bit about the loss of dignity. I know that when you take away a man's dignity there is a hole, a deep black hole filled with despair, humiliation, and self-hatred, filled with emptiness, shame and disgrace, filled with loss and isolation and Hell. It's a deep, dark, horrible fucking hole, and that hole is where people like me live our sad-ass, fucked-up, dignity-free, inhuman lives, and where we die, alone, miserable, wasted and forgotten."

"I stand and begin pacing back and forth across the length of the Bathroom. I cross my arms and begin rubbing my body. I get cold and a chll shoots up my spine. One second I want to cry, one second I want to kill, one second I want to die. I think about running but there's nowhere to run so I pace and I rub my body and I feel cold."

Come on people, that’s good stuff.

No comments: