Thursday, March 08, 2007

3G and Netflix

Last night I went a 3G event called “Wednesday Night Coffee” 3G is a group similar to 2G except that it’s the grandchildren of Holocaust survivors, not the children. I’m not the typical 3G (actually, I’m a 4G), b/c my grandparents were never in camps, but like many 3G’s, my grandparents were Europeans, who migrated to the US or Israel after the war. The topic of conversation for the evening was “Where was God?” with specific reference to the Holocaust and A) How could God let this happen and B) How do survivors, specifically your grandparents, view God and how did it change, pre/post war.

I don’t think I mentioned it here yet, but I’m going to Israel in 2 weeks to see family and travel around a little for 7 days. I’ll see my Grandfather, who I’ve seen about 1x a year for the last 10 years and, while he’s 92 and still strong and able, who knows how long that will last. I figured this group, this meeting, would be a good opportunity for myself to at least ask myself the questions, or know the questions to ask him, if I did feel like bringing up the topic of loss and God, and WWII. It’s not an easy thing for anyone to talk about.

Anyway, there were only 6 of us in the group, and all from very different backgrounds. A few had grown up w/no Judaism, a few were agnostic Jews, and a few were religious / college students who wanted to be more religious. There was no arguing, and very little discussion. It was a story telling session with a bit of Q&A. The point, for me, was to get some prospective. Personally, I believe that if there is a God, it is definitely not specific to one religion and or people, and it is much more of a hands-off God than most people believe. After the Holocaust, many Jews were angry with God and questioned it, just as we all do whenever individual tragedy strikes.

I wonder how religious my grandfather was before the war, how bitter he became or religious he became when he realized he would never see his parents or siblings again and what his life was like, and what he though of “God the abandoner who killed good, innocent people,” when he was “alone” from 19-31 before he met his wife. Likely, I won’t discuss this with him, or anyone else for a while, but it was good to think about it.

The curious thing to me, is how similar the stories of Exodus and WWII mimic each other, excluding the divine intervention in the exit from Egypt story. Jews were persecuted, killed, enslaved, some escaped before all could be killed, and ended up creating Israel. The same story. I wonder if 3,000 years from now, the Jewish struggle during WWII, or even the Spanish Inquisition, will be looked at as triumphs over evil and stories of miracles and survival and not horrible tragedies. Once the personal anger over the loss of human life during the Holocaust has diminished, as it may become with a 4G, then maybe we can start to look at the Miracle of Israel, and the creation of the Jewish spine. (We used to get pushed around, no more, never again)

Anyway, I feel like it helped put things in some perspective.

Thoughts on Netflix, now that I’ve finally given in to my roommate and we got it:
- The Queue is awesome, you just fill out a list, and the movies come in order. Anytime you think of a movie, just put it on the list.
- I own shares in Movie Gallery, what am I doing supporting their second biggest competitor!
- I never watch movies. I hardly have time to watch my TV shows that I DVR during the week. Those shows consist of 3 Thursday shows and 1 Sunday show. I usually watch TV during dinner and when I’m going to bed. I have no clue when I’d ever have 2 hrs to sit in front of a TV and watch movies. No clue.
- Netflix is not good for new releases. You fight w/everyone else who wants to see a new release, and thus, you are much better off going to a Blockbuster store or going to the guy on the corner to see a new release. Netflix is for catalogs.
- Netflix will be awesome for the shore house (if I do it), we’ll have a few good movies to watch instead of the game shows on Univision.
- W are Breakfast club, Pretty in Pink, St Elmo's Fire, Ghost, and Dirty Dancing on my Netflix Queue? Which of my roommate’s female friends was filling this out?! This leads me to the…

Netflix Rules:
1) No chick flicks, if you want to see a chick flick, put in Blue Crush or turn on TBS
2) No help with the queue. If you can’t think of a movie to watch, you are obviously not mature or responsible to have Netflix.
3) You can watch movies on your own, but don’t send it back until you ask your roommate if he has watched or wants to.
4) Randomize the Queue a bit. I know you like Steven Segal, but we don’t need to get 9 in a row.
5) TV shows on DVD are highly recommended, esp for long weekends.
6) If we have a movie for 2 weekends, and have not watched it, though there was time, we need to return it (after asking the roommate).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another comment on netflix is the new addition of blockbuster flix. Same benefit of netflix, but you can also exchange a moveie to the store, instead of having to wait for the mail. ALSO, you get a coupon once a month for a video game rental, and if you have wii, then that is very very nice.... i will keep you posted as to whether or not our switch to blockbuster is worthwhile

Meistro said...

Considering I've been inside of the blockbuster store that is 2 blocks away (not avenues, blocks) 1x in 2 years (to buy a used video, not to rent), I find ZERO benefit to that feature. However, if I did have a gaming console, and/or did travel to blockbuster more than once a year, then I would likely have done blockbuster.

Anonymous said...

Definitely ask your grandfather lots of questions.

Laura R said...

Hey, I haven't been on AIM in sooo long but I clicked on your profile to see what's up and if you had pictures of Ariel's b-day karaoke (you did, and my face is peeking out in one of them). Anyways, I thought it was interesting what you wrote on the Holocaust mtg. I have also been thinking about going to Israel. I am probably the only Jewish person you know who hasn't been, right? You might be there now, according to this post, so I hope you're enjoying yourself! Now, I need to write to Ariel about his pictures...

WILLIAM A. said...

What Jew owns Netflix?