Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Breckenridge / Denver

This trip to Denver was planned last minute, after I got an email from Quiznos that they were going to have a lender meeting at their headquarters in town. I jumped at the opportunity for a free flight from work, knowing I wouldn’t need lodging to go for the weekend, for free. I called Josh to make sure he’d be around and then called Sarah to see what she was doing. Sarah told me she was going to Breckenridge w/her boy and 5 others from out of town. Of course I invited myself along.

While I was supposed to take the Colorado Mountain Express up to town, the flights of the other out-of -towners were so late, that I got a ride w/Sarah and everyone else. We got up to the mountains at 1am (3am east coast time) and proceeded to do Jager shots and stay up till 3. This action pretty much sums up the weekend portion of the trip.

Saturday we woke at 8, hit the cheep donut shop / breakfast place, and headed to A-Basin for the end of the ski season party. I knew there was going to be a party, but when I packed, I had no idea it was an outside, tailgate, 80’s costume party. Let’s just say I was utterly underdressed for the event. Winds blew snow off the mountain all day long as season pass skiers, drank, danced, and BBQ’ed the day away. I had to borrow sunglasses just to see, and while most of my group skied for part of the day, I stayed at the base and drank, and hung w/these costumed revelers. It was interesting how many people who were born in, or lived in NY/NJ I met. I was surprised to say the least. You should def check the pictures.

Around noon, a megaphone announced that a 2:45, a couple, dressed in classy 80’s garb was going to get married down by the stage where the band was. Yes, this was their wedding, and this was there reception. Like I said, you should definitely check the pictures. Here’s a little video from the wedding reception.



After the wedding / reception, came the Chinese Downhill, and DRUNKIN ILLEGAL FIREWORKS PARTY. Always a good time. The Chinese Downhill consisted of about 50 drunk people hiking up the hill about 100 feet in elevation (500 feet away) and racing down the hill right toward the party. The purpose, to grab a $15, 3 foot tall Barbie doll. Apparently, you get to keep this Barbie, if you win, until next year’s end of the season party. Like I said, you should check the pictures.

The evening was spent listening to the whole second floor shake like the house was going to fall down, hitting the hot tub, watching Walk Hard (good first hour, average 2nd), ordering expensive Thai, playing the slowest and most serious game of Connect 4 I can imagine. Check the pictures for a really serious one of Dan staring down the Connect 4 board.

We also played “HIDE BEN’S CAMERA,” which consisted of me flipping out for an hour when I couldn’t find my camera, scraping my arms trying to reach into the bowls of the couch, thinking that was the only place I thought it could have been. The game culminated when I woke up from a lil nap, got a drink of water, and saw the camera on the floor right where I was napping. I’m still not sure who won the game, but I don’t think it was me. For some reason, I think Stacie and / or Jeff were highly involved.

Sunday morning I woke up bright and early, on 5 hours of sleep again, and hopped the CME back to Denver Intl Airport. I was planning on paying off the driver to take me to Josh’s directly, but considering there were 11 people in the car, Frank wasn’t a taker. He was, however, a talker, and peppered the passengers with Summit county trivia with prizes and fun facts. I had to delay my planned phone calls until the afternoon.

Josh and I spent the day doing our normal routine. Playing poker, watching golf, drinking a little, and arguing. He surprised me with tkts to the Nuggets / Rockets game and then surprised Natalia and friend with tkts as well. We got a ride there, drank a lot, took the train back, and enjoyed ourselves tremendously.

I woke up Monday and edited my tax return online, doubling what I was supposed to owe. Awesome. I relaxed in the morning, talked to the company I want to put into bankruptcy , and took the train downtown for my meeting with Quiznos management. The actual purpose of my trip.

Nothing else interesting to report except that on my flight home I had my own row, and the pilot did not make any excuses because we took off on – time, which means we got in really early. I had the option of a 7:30 flight that got in at 1am or taking a red eye. Considering the red eye is only 3.5 hours long, I figured I could get 5 hours of sleep as long as I get home by 2am. So I’m actually hoping for 5 hours of sleep for the 3rd out of 4 nights. Of course I missed the last bus at 1am, and had to take a $70 cab. Wow, that’s a boring paragraph. I apologize to anyone who subjected themselves to that. Now, onto the more interesting stuff.

Things I lied about this week:

I told someone I was a writer. In actuality, I’m not.

I told someone I was a teacher. In actuality, I’m not that either.

I told someone I didn’t drink Britta water because I thought they put addictive chemicals in it to get you hooked. In actuality, I have Britta water before I got to bed every night. However, I still kinda believe the addictive part.

I told someone that this girl was my child. In actuality, she is my niece.

I told my readers that I told someone I was a teacher. In actuality, I never told anyone that this weekend, I told someone I sometimes pretend to be a teacher.

I told a stranger I was scared of fireworks, especially illegal ones, and that’s why I was walking away from the party. In actuality, I was freezing my but off. Surprisingly and unfortunately, my fake fear was justified when a cracker went off near Sarah’s ear and she lost her hearing for a while (I’m sure it’ll be back soon).

I told someone I had sex for the first time 12 days earlier. In actuality, I did not.

I told someone I’d chill. In actuality, I’ll try.

I told someone they looked good when they didn’t. In actuality, they looked pretty average, though kinda sexy.

I told someone I’d search for an 8th person for our volleyball team. In actuality, I’d rather if we just had 7, more playing time for us.

I told someone I’d def hang out w/them this week. In actuality, my week is pretty full, and I like having at least one night to myself, and she is not in the top 5 on my list.

Stat of the Week that May Only Interest Me:

The first gold rush was in 1843 in Georgia, Colorado’s wasn’t for another 15+ years. They have taken 1,000,000 ounces of gold out of them there hills.

Twelve Things I Think I think:

I think I told a bartender at Joshua Tree to put on the Rutgers WOMEN’s elite-8 basketball game, vs UConn. I will never watch the WNBA, but at least amateurs playing for a national championship play w/heart and passion.

I think the Denver nuggets are the most ghetto team I’ve ever seen. I think they lead the league in tattoos and bad vocation…not that I can talk.

I think I felt like I was IN THE KNOW, being at A-Basin on the “last” day of the season (they ski here till July). The party was def all people who come every weekend and huge groups of skiing buddy friends. I was such an outsider.

I think the funniest thing I saw all weekend was this group of 75 year old men and women doing the Superman Dance at the Nuggets game. Don’t even ask what that song is about, but it’s not appropriate for this forum. Video below.



I think I owe way too much money in taxes and I don’t think I will be doing my own again. I think I may take H&R up on their free offer next year to review the previous year’s taxes too.

I think Square hung out w/AC Slater Saturday night because he is dating her 21 year old roommate. I’m sure he’s such a nice guy…but I say that knowing I don’t like guys…hopefully, she’ll invite me along next time!

I think I may need to revise my stand on FLOWERS. For years I’ve been objecting to giving people flowers. I don’t see the point of buying something pretty so someone can slowly watch it die. I’d rather the flowers weren’t plucked from the ground. I think I’ve given flowers to many people for various reasons: When I screwed up, When I was away, When it was time for a Hanukkah gift, or When it was accepted protocol. But, I think I hardly ever surprised anyone with flowers. I think I may want to revise the surprise flowers decision. I think, especially because most girls know my stand on flowers, it will be extra special if I do kill a flower so people can watch it die slowly.

I think I have developed the proper standard answer for anyone who asks me for investing advice, or asks what I’m doing with my money. Answer: I have no idea, I have way too much money sitting in cash right now.

I think I have yet to develop the proper response to people who ask what I do for a living. I think the “finance crap” answer isn’t holding up very well….and I talk about work enough at work, so I don’t really want to actually describe what I do. I think suggestions, preferably ones that don’t have me lying, are welcomed.

I think empirical evidence continues to support THIS ARTICLE (Airline / Pilots always lie to you). We were the 30th plane on line behind big jets and they told us 45 min before we took off. HA, more like 1.5 hours. I think the best thing to do is always assume the worst, and expect that you’ll be landing late, very late.

I think it might be time to broach the IG subject.

I think it amazing how long I’ve known Natalia, Josh’s wife. I think we’re going on 7 years now. I think she mentioned, when I realized that I’d forgotten my razor and needed to borrow Josh’s to shave for my meeting, that she remembered when I barely had to shave once a week. Yea, that sounds about right.

Enjoyable / Aggravating travel note of the Week:

I took the receipt from the $60 cab from the airport to Josh’s. He actually saw it. We currently have no clue where it is. Luckily, or smartly, I asked the cab back to the airport for 2 receipts, so I can get reimbursed properly, or improperly, depending on how you want to view it.

Links of the Last Few Weeks:

After around 30 thoughtful, concise, and topical emails I've sent in, Peter King picked THIS ONE to comment on?

How come when the Washington Post does an "IMPROV EVERYWHERE" skit, they win a Pulitzer...for THIS ARTICLE.

The History of Common Sayings

The first line of THIS ARTICLE on a Penn Stater is awesome.

This Website is extremely disturbing, especially when you put in your own address.

This Woman got a heart transplant and started eating fried chicken and beer.

Coffee made from Poop

Spitzer's wife knew all along, I knew it. Thus, he wasn't really apologizing to anyone.


Video of the Week:

This is by far the video of the week, but I don't know how to imbed it properly, so CLICK THE LINK

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

who are the top 5?

Anonymous said...

I just checked out your pics. I think Tigger=tiger

Meistro said...

The 5 was an exaggeration...I've just got things to do this week w/volleyball, the holidays, etc. I actually have not hung out w/my roommate in almost a month, and we've had Lawrence of Arabia on Netflix for over a month too, which totally breaks the netflix rules.

Bear was really Tigger - fixed.

favorite fan said...

Great post. Thanks. Where do you find those links?

Meistro said...

My friend Jess and I send the back and forth to eachother all week.