Friday, October 24, 2008

Reviewing My Life #2

(Original post had links and pictures but it got messed up and I don't feel like editing)

Books:
Currently Reading: 1776
This is a great book about the revolutionary war. What I like is that no character is glorified, and all flaws along with strengths are adequately and possibly accurately portrayed. Washington is shown as a noble, chivalrous man of valor, and honor who is humbled by his appointment as commander and chief and continues stress how he is not worthy. He is a born leader with no military experience, and thus continued to make mistakes on the battlefield, while no one would question his judgment…publicly. The book is inspiring, and patriotic, and really energizes me for my day of sitting and doing nothing behind a desk. I have yet to finish (prob 75% done), but I think I know how the story ends.

Just Finished Reading: Dianetics
This book, the basis for the Scientology religion is the worst book I’ve read in a long time. Paragraphs are so confusing and written in such poor English they must be read over and over a few times. The audience to which the writer is speaking is unclear and here’s the best part. L. Ron Hubbard makes up words. He invents a whole vocabulary for this new religion and creates a glossary in the back of the book for reference. So, if you put the book down for a day or two, after you’ve struggled to understand what he is talking about, you can’t easily pick up where you left off, b/c you have no idea what these words mean. “clears, otcs, engrams.” Anyway, it seems as though the book offers a different way about thinking about the mind and how it works. From that perspective, it was somewhat interesting.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen this video, but here’s the tease of Jason Beghe talking about Scientology (the full 2 hour interview is also on youtube). You don’t even know what he’s talking about.





TV Shows:
Entourage is back and I love it all over again, but my new favorite this season is True Blood. It’s full of bad writing, average acting (besides Tara and her mom who are very good) and really good dogma. I love the whole concept that vampires have come out from hiding b/c now there’s synthetic blood for them to drink, and they are meshing into our world. It’s really interesting and cool in the way superhero books/movies are and there are soooo many directions they can take the storylines. I’m totally "sucked" in :)

Scrubs: Where are you?

The Office / Grey’s. Same thing as last time. The office is awesome, Grey’s is terrible but I’m hooked forever. The problem is that these shows make me very sad. For 2 seasons I watched them w/someone, now I watch alone…just not as fun, and full of memories that make me sad.

Movies:
There really isn’t much to report here because since the year began, I believe I’ve seen 2 movies in the theaters. Additionally, the Netflix spigot has slowed tremendously over the last 6 months. Since the summer started, there just hasn’t been enough time to spend an evening at home watching a DVD. And don’t even get me started on the weekends.

Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay:
The first was an instant classic, and this sequel wasn’t far behind. The things we all loved about the first movie were still there, a bunch of dorky, smart, underachievers with personality flaws go through some crazy adventures. I loved that the moved was FIVE years after the first, but picked up exactly where the first left off. Like 2 minutes after the first ended, the 2nd begins. Props to the bottomless party and of course Neil Patrick Harris.

Body of Lies:
Leo is Leo, which means he’s awesome w/a bad accent. Russell Crowe looks old and annoying. I miss Gladiator Russell Crowe. Besides a few plot errors that were fixable and the obvious predictable plot twist, this was quite an entertaining action packed movie. It had everything you’d expect from a CIA/terrorism movie: Innocent people dying, a pompous American boss, a hot foreign chick, and Muslims being depicted as superbly stubborn or terrorists.

Plays:
A Man for all Seasons with Frank Langella. It was powerful and moving. It was inspiring similar to 1776, in that a man put is morals, ethics, and values before his own life, to prove a point and be true to himself. Frank Langella was amazing, and I have a new respect for the man I only really knew as Bob Alexander in “Dave.” I left the theatre upset, yet inspired, and motivated to be a good person.

Dangerous Liaisons with Laura Linney. This show is exactly the opposite of the one above. Scheming and manipulative, characters play off each other by lying and taking advantage of those less powerful. Dangerous Liaisons was a movie w/John Malc and Uma and the moved Cruel Intentions was adapted from it. Very powerful, but you leave feeling almost suicidal!

Politics:
I really don’t like talking about politics with people I don’t know. I am very passionate about my feelings, but I don’t think its most people’s business or my business to preach my beliefs, similar to religion. In any case, I am voting for BO, and not MC for 2 reasons. Supreme Court Justices and Palin. On ever other issue, I think BO and MC are pretty similar. Their domestic policies will be dictated by congress, and will be watered down or not adopted. Their foreign policy decisions will be made in conjunction w/the same generals, won’t be rash decisions, and will be thoughtful. I trust both as leaders and presidents. However, I do not want a more conservative supreme court, one which will take away my rights, maybe detain me like Harold and Kumar, without representation. Palin was my big decision maker. She’s unqualified, she’s untrustworthy, she’s not smart, she’s not knowledgeable, and I don’t think she’ll be a good leader. The problem w/Bush is that his subordinates thought he was an idiot, and could do whatever they wanted, the kids controlled the orphanage. She is Bush, but w/Lipstick, and that’s not ok. MC was picked b/c he was the most liberal, of the Republican candidates, and he takes that mandate, and picks a very conservative running mate. Way to alienate those who nominated you John. I think Powell’s endorsement of of BO speaks volumes (esp b/c he’s known MC for 25 years and donated money to him last year), and he’s much more eloquent than I am, so here it is.




No comments: