Wednesday, November 05, 2008

2008 Election

This was a big deal.

I find myself inspired by the man, by the message, and by the millions of people who supported him.

I find myself inspired by the booth...any one of us could have gone into the booth, and voted timidly. Instead, many of us said to ourselves, "Today, I'm going to be bold, I'm going to show courage, and I'm going to try to push this country in a totally new direction." That is a scary proposition, and it is inspiring, that so many people felt that twang of fear, and showed the courage to push the button, swing the lever, or punch a hole.

I'm scared that policy had nothing to do with this election. The election was won by words like "change" and by organizational skills.

I'm scared since I don't trust that just because we were going the wrong direction, doesn't mean the opposite direction is the right one.

I was scared. I'm sure many were scared. Yet we all stood by ourselves, searched our souls, made a confidential decision, and overcame that fear. That's inspiring.

I don't know how to put last night's outcome into context, but here goes. Out of all the states, and all of the elections over the last 230 years, there have only been 2 African American's elected to the position of Governor. That means that 27 states, which had never even had an African American Governor, had the majority of its voters support one for President. To me, that puts this election in context. (I heard that from Gov. Patterson last night)

My question is.... Why is it a big deal to you? (positive or negative, I kinda wanna hear it).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't particularly care for McCain, but he was the lesser of the two evils. Not all changes are good. I see bad chages ahead. And if there are bad changes or no changes then the joke is on the majority of America. I agree that Obama represents change, but I am afraid of the "changes" obama will bring and you should be too. In his limited political history, Obama has gone backwards on many a campaign process. I also fear his foreign ... Read Morepolicy. I do not think we should be in Iraq any longer, but I do not want him stating opinions on how Israel should handle its problems either.