Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sup Ibro?

I met my mentee, Ibrahima (Ibro) on Saturday. He seemed like a really nice, smart, shy kid. Obviously, there's plenty to work on before we turn him into Ben 2.0. Saturday's meeting consisted of various ice breakers and whatnot, and we'll be meeting 3 more times over the next 5 weeks in order to build a closer bond (puke). After that, we'll likely be communicating by email, and meeting once every month or so. Here's the first email I sent him.

Hello Ibrahima:

My name is Ben and I’m a 29 year old that works in the world of finance. I live near Union Square in Manhattan and work on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Thank you for emailing me and don’t worry about not being able to finish in time. I am sure next time you will finish. I also played football in high school! I’m sure there is a ton of stuff we can talk about in that subject! This is my first time being a mentor and I’m very excited about the opportunity to get to know you and I’m also a little nervous because I have never done anything like this before. I’m sure it will work out great. Hopefully this year, as we get to know one another, we’ll be able to share fun stories and learn from each other.

Imentor has given me some sentences to finish. Some are pretty silly but here is my best try. 1. The one word that best describes me is “stable.” I don’t let many things upset me but I also don’t get overly excited about things. This is both good and bad, but my friends rely on me to always be the same for them.
2. If I could travel to anywhere in the world it would be “Argentina.” I love steak, do you? Everyone who goes to Argentina and Brazil tells me that you can get steak everywhere, and it’s not expensive, and it’s the best they have ever had! Hopefully, I can go sometime soon.
3. My number one dream for my future is “building my own family.” I have two sisters and both are married but I’m still single! They are looking to make our family bigger while I work all day and so I really want to find someone that I actually like!
4. My most prized possession is “my cell phone!” I take my phone everywhere and constantly use it. If I ever lost it or if it broke I would run to the Verizon store to get another one!
5. My favorite movie or CD is… I have many favorite movies. I’m sure you do too. My favorites are probably Jerry McGuire, Apollo 13, The Matrix movies and the Borne Identity movies.
6. My greatest accomplishment in my life so far is still to come. While I’ve done many good things, I don’t think I’ve tried that hard or wanted something bad enough to be proud of getting it. The biggest accomplishments are those that you want the most, and then achieve. I still have to find one of those.
7. My family would describe me as “young.” I like to act like I’m a kid sometimes. I’m always looking to find the “fun” in any activity.
8. My greatest fear is “falling from heights.” I’m not scared of heights. I don’t have any problem being in a high building or on an airplane, but I don’t like looking over the edge of buildings or mountains. I have a fear of falling! Have you ever been on an airplane?
9. During my free time (outside of school or work), my favorite activity is “playing volleyball.” I played volleyball in college and though I’m not as good as I used to be, I still play once a week in a league.
10. If I could change one thing in the world today, I would change selfishness in professional sports. I look at athletes and agents and coaches and owners and it just seems like everyone is in it for the money and for themselves. I play sports for fun and to win and because its good exercise and because I love competition, and not for money. I wish everyone played that way.

Thanks again for messaging and hopefully I’ll hear from you soon. I think we will be meeting this Saturday at your school. Will you be there?

Have a good week,

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Where did your fear of looking over the edge of high things come from?